Monday, November 19, 2007

AmieStreet: Music on the Move

I've tried a number of different music delivery agents over the years. In the early 80's, I purchased a subscription to Wayne Green's, long gone CD Review magazine, which included as part of the sub, a complete CD. In the early 90's, I started purchasing CMJ New Music Monthly, a magazine and CD which I still get today, but which has lost the luster it once had. If memory serves, 9/11 disrupted the publication and delivery mechanism for this magazine, based in New York City, and it has never fully recovered in my view. Awhile back, I started an account on Amie Street (http://amiestreet.com) and since then I haven't looked back.

Amie Street has a great model for both the consumer and the publisher of music. It allows musicians to upload their songs (individual songs, EP's or long play CD's) as mp3 tracks. Amie Street keeps the first $5 of each songs profit, for bandwidth, storage and other fees, then the artist receives %70 of any future revenue on the song. Songs go up in value as they are purchased and downloaded, and as recommendations come in from people who have listened to the tracks.

Consumers of Amie Street music receive equal benefits. All music starts out as FREE and then moves upwards as it is purchased and downloaded. Recommendations from fans increase the value of the posting as more people are likely to purchase and download the music based on reviews that others provide.

This model provides a true supply and demand cost model that allows the cream to rise to the top, while music that is less stellar or not quite as accessible, languishes towards the bottom. Amie Street editors also provide their own input into music that is currently hosted on the site providing another boost for artists and another opinion for potential purchasers.

If you haven't yet tried Amie Street, I highly recommend that you do. Recent hooks into social networking sites, such as Facebook.com's Fantasy Record Label application, provide yet another avenue for consumers and musicians alike.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Ahh, CMJ. May ye rest in peace. Amie Street is indeed a fitting replacement. It's really proving itself to be a novel distribution method. Lots of people like to be the ones to 'discover' music, and AS rewards them for that.

I have difficulty with big-ass music sites these days, though.
I'm not really the type to go wading through tracks to find something good. I want the good stuff all lined up and waiting by my door.

That's why radio or blogs will still be preferable to me. Go sounds ecclectic!